You can browse the Site without telling us who you are or revealing any personal information about yourself. Once you give us your personal information, you are not anonymous to us. If you choose to provide us with personal information, you consent to the transfer and storage of that information to our servers.
We may collect and store the following personal information:
- Email address, physical contact information, meter number, electric service account numbers and (depending on the service used) sometimes financial information, such as credit card or bank account numbers;
- Transactional information based on your activities on the Site (such as paying your electric bill);
- Correspondence through the Site and/or correspondence sent to us;
- Computer sign-on data, statistics on page views, traffic to and from the Site, ad data, and other information including IP address and standard web log information; and
- Supplemental information from third parties. For example, if you are attempting to pay your bill on-line, and the information you provide cannot be verified, we may ask you to send us additional information (such as the last four digits of your social security number, driver’s license number, mother’s maiden name, a recent electric bill or other information confirming your name, address, telephone number, account numbers and/or meter number), or to answer additional questions online to help verify your information.
We do not sell or rent your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent. We may combine your information with information we collect from other companies (such as demographic data) to improve or personalize our services, and we may use such information to inform you of YEP Energy services which may interest you. If you don’t wish to receive marketing communications from us, simply indicate your preference once you sign-in on the Site.
Our primary purpose in collecting personal information is to provide you with a safe, smooth, efficient, and customized experience. You agree that we may use your personal information to:
- Provide the services and customer support you request;
- Resolve disputes, collect fees, and troubleshoot problems;
- Customize, measure, and improve our services and the Site’s content and layout; and
- Tell you about targeted marketing, service updates, and promotional offers based on your communication preferences, and compare information for accuracy, and verify it with third parties.
Our Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose personal information to respond to legal requirements, enforce our policies, respond to claims that content on the Site violates the rights of others, or protect anyone’s rights, property, or safety.
We may also share your personal information with:
- YEP Energy affiliates and successors (and parties who acquire the assets or control of (or merge with) YEP Energy) who are engaged to perform service or functions for YEP Energy and YEP Energy customers;
- Your local transmission and distribution utility or electric distribution company (collectively, “TDU”), pursuant to the TDU’s commission-approved Tariff for Retail Electric Delivery Service or similar tariff or regulations;
- A consumer reporting agency as defined by the Federal Trade Commission;
- An energy assistance agency to allow a customer or applicant to qualify for and obtain other financial assistance provided by the agency; and
- The office of the Public Utility Counsel, upon request pursuant to PURA §39.101(d) or such applicable governing body and law as it relates to the oversight of retail energy services in your area.
Without limiting the above, in an effort to respect your privacy and our ability to keep the community free from bad actors, we will not otherwise disclose your personal information to law enforcement, other government officials, or other third parties without a subpoena, court order or substantially similar legal procedure, except when we believe in good faith that the disclosure of information is necessary to prevent imminent physical harm or financial loss or to report suspected illegal activity.
Access, Reviewing and Changing Your Personal Information
Your information is stored on our servers. We treat data as an asset that must be protected and use a number of tools (encryption, passwords, physical security, etc.) to protect your personal information against unauthorized access and disclosure. We also require our employees and affiliated service providers to refrain from disclosing your personal information to unauthorized third parties. However, third parties may unlawfully intercept or access transmissions or private communications, and other users may abuse or misuse your personal information that they collect from the Site. Therefore, although we work very hard to protect your privacy, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information or private communications will always remain private. Further, although YEP Energy uses appropriate software to ensure the wellness and safety of the Site, we do not warranty that the Site or our digital correspondence with customers is free from harmful elements. Due to the rapid evolution of computer viruses and other internet issues, we strongly recommend that you use anti-virus software when accessing this Site.
We use "cookies" (small files placed on your hard drive) on certain pages of the Site to help analyze our web page flow, customize our services, measure promotional effectiveness, and promote trust and safety.
A few important things you should know about cookies are that:
- Most cookies are "session cookies" meaning that they are automatically deleted from your hard drive at the end of the session;
- You are always free to decline our cookies if your browser permits, although doing so may interfere with your use of the Site; and
- You may encounter cookies from third parties on certain pages of the Site that we do not control.
Your password is the key to your account. Use unique numbers, letters, and special characters and do not disclose your YEP Energy customer password to anyone. If you do share your password or your personal information with others, remember that you are responsible for all actions taken in the name of your account. If you lose control of your password, you may lose substantial control over your personal information and may be subject to legally binding actions taken on your behalf. Therefore, if your password has been compromised for any reason, you should immediately notify YEP Energy and change your password.